If you’re reading this, it’s because you’ve got DNA guiding the existence and design of your eyes, brain, and beyond. This microscopic molecule stores all of your genetic makeup information, and is responsible for passing that information along throughout the generations. While it is incredible, it isn’t perfect, and it can be at the root of many health problems. At KlothoGenics, we have realized that we can work to understand the way our DNA interacts with the world around us, how it impacts our daily lives, and what we can do to make life longer and healthier.
For being something we can’t see, DNA is an incredible molecule. In today’s blog, we want to take some time to explore some of our favorite amazing facts about DNA and why you should learn more about yours!
Incredible Facts About DNA
- In ancient times, there were viruses that used to infect humans. However, DNA is made to adapt and survive. As a result, eight percent of our DNA today is actually made out of those ancient viruses, and we don’t have to worry about them. Thanks, ancient viruses!
- DNA keeps all the information that makes up organisms, including us. Interestingly, it has the ability to keep incredibly intricate information stored in just four building blocks. These building blocks are called cytosine (C), thymine (T), adenine (A), and guanine (G). These building blocks are arranged in different sequences that define everything about our bodies.
- We live in the information age. The internet is a nearly infinite source of information that continues to grow every second. However, if we wanted to store every piece of information in existence, we could fit it all into just two grams of DNA. Just two grams! Our DNA holds an incredible amount of information, and we don’t think about it!
- Humans have long noticed the similarities between ourselves and chimpanzees. The similarities are there for a reason: we share 95 percent of our DNA with the cute little guys. However, chimps aren’t the only ones that share our DNA. We share 50 percent of our DNA with bananas and 40 percent of our DNA with cabbages. Who would have thought?
- DNA is tiny, but it holds massive amounts of information, Just one gram of DNA can hold 700 terabytes of data.
- Our DNA changes over time. As we mentioned above, it has incorporated eight ancient viruses in order to protect us. However, it both adds and gives away characteristics. For instance, about 510 DNA codes have been lost from our DNA as the process of evolution has taken place.
- Every single cell in your body has DNA in it. Remember that your cells are invisible, they are so tiny. However, the DNA within them would be 1.8 meters if stretched out. Compacted, the DNA takes up about 0.09 micrometers. That is an extremely tiny space, and it is in every single one of your cells.
Turn to KlothoGenics
Do you know the story behind our name? We decided to call ourselves KlothoGenics because the name is a combination of “Klotho,” which is the longevity gene and the word “Genics,” which refers to something that causes something else. The name fits our mission because we do what we do to make life longer and more healthy using what we know about genetics. When you work with us, you get advice about better ways to live that are based on your genetics. This is the most effective type of advice you can get because it is based on your actual construction, on the things that make you unique.
We can offer tailored advice because we carefully assess our clients’ genetics and then tailor our recommendations in ways that can help them enjoy the best health and longevity. We’re talking exercise, neurotransmitters, nutrition, detoxification, hormones, and other aspects that come into play as you live your daily life. We take the time to personally assess your makeup, and then we meet with you or send a video with our results. Once you start with us, we’ll stick with you to make sure you get updates on our knowledge about genetics and how you can improve your life. Contact our dedicated team for world-class genetics testing and beyond today!